ORRION FARMS – An Arabian Horse Landmark
We invite you to enjoy the newest issue of Oasis Magazine online now at www.oasismagazine.com
By Beth Hunziker
Orrion Farms is truly a landmark in the international Arabian horse world. For over 17 years it has been the source of some of the breed's most successful show and breeding horses including the legendary sire, RSD Dark Victory, as well as national champions GA Honisuckle Rose, OWF Magic Wan and numerous other noteworthy individuals. Equally important, Orrion Farms is home to two of the most beloved members of the Arabian horse community, Dolly and Harold Orr.
The late Harold Orr was a very successful businessman by anyone's standards and he truly enjoyed his career, which spanned more than 60 years. Harold also loved a challenge, which may explain his deep and abiding love for his wife Dolly, a woman with a tremendous wit, energy, creativity, as well as a deep love of nature and all animals - especially Arabian horses.
Dolly and Harold have been active participants in both showing and breeding their horses. According to the official Arabian Horse Data Source, Dolly and Harold Orr have bred over 330 horses. The horses with the OFW prefix are known around the world for their beauty, quality, athletic ability and their wonderfully kind, gentle character. The Orrion-bred horses are also known for their intellect and trainability; they have been shown with great success in both halter and performance divisions. As breeding horses, Orrion-bred horses are highly valued for their classic Arabian type and are sought after by breeders everywhere. Mr. Salim Mattar selected U.S. National Champion Futurity Stallion, OFW Magic Wan, for his breeding program at Haras Sahara in Brazil.
Dolly and Harold traveled the world. From Brazil and Argentina to Spain and Paris, France - wherever they travelled, Dolly and Harold were at home with their friends and extended family in the Arabian horse community. As much as Harold and Dolly enjoyed traveling - they felt the pull on their heartstrings which were so strongly attached to their beloved horses back at Orrion Farms, and the lush, beautiful landscape of Washington state.
Orrion Farms is a sprawling property of 155 acres located just a few miles from Ellensburg, Washington and a 90-minute drive from Seattle, Washington. The city of Ellensburg is home to Central Washington University. It is an extremely vibrant community, full of culture and creativity, as well as an academic atmosphere. Ellensburg has a thriving artist enclave with an abundance of unique boutiques, galleries and studios. Dolly is a very accomplished artist and together Harold and Dolly were dedicated patrons of the arts in Ellensburg society.
The Orrs moved from the Seattle area to Ellensburg, and in 1995 began construction on what is now Orrion Farms. Over the years, Dolly expertly blended her creativity and fine esthetic with her love of nature when she and Harold built their equine center and dream home. They developed their property in several phases including the pastures, the barns, and the expansive sales center.
Orrion Farms has become a top-purchasing venue for some of the world's most affluent breeders, owners and trainers of high quality Arabian horses. The sales center includes a warm and gracious great room with a soaring floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace, a 13,680 square foot heated indoor arena, heated observation deck, two luxurious guest apartments, beautifully appointed offices, conference room, and a gourmet commercial kitchen. This facility encourages entertainment on a very personal level, which no doubt accounts for Dolly Orr's title of "Hostess with the Mostest!"
The second phase involved construction of the mare barn with 24 oversized stalls and breeding facilities with a state-of-the-art reproduction lab, as well as two staff apartments. Outdoor spaces include approximately 70 acres of fenced and cross-fenced pastures and smaller paddocks. The design and construction of the indoor spaces assure the maximum comfort of the horses, as well as the comfort, efficiency and functionality for the staff.
The third and final phase was Harold and Dolly's personal residence, a magnificent statement of design that combines rich, natural, organic beauty with a level of sophistication that is rarely seen, or experienced. The 17,000 square foot residence is unmatched in its entertaining capabilities and is perfect for cozy family gatherings or a grand, elaborate event. Construction on this one of a kind masterpiece began in 2002, and was completed in 2006. The architectural design of the home reflects a northwest contemporary style. It features unique, rounded copper roofs and metal clad windows with an exterior of stucco and striking Pennsylvania Bluestone. The design of the home achieves seamless living, which beautifully blends indoor and outdoor living spaces resulting in a feeling of freedom and boundless space. The natural surfaces, the pools, the water and the sky all flow effortlessly and create a sense of tranquility. This majestic structure is situated at the very crest of the property, which enables the residents to fully enjoy the experience of 180-degree mountain and valley views. The home is perfectly suited for people who love the outdoors and who want to live in harmony with the land. The Orrs artfully arranged all of these elements - the farm, the equestrian center and the home - against the dramatic natural splendor of the Manastash Ridge.
Orrion Farms is a gem nested in a perfect setting of natural beauty with the regal Manastash Ridge as the backdrop. The Manastash Creek flows through the property and passes directly in front of the sale center. An arched stone bridge welcomes visitors and carries them over the creek and up to the equine center. An additional waterway in the form of an irrigation canal bisects the property and meanders against the hillside. Paths run along the canal providing miles of terrain and an excellent area for trail riding. Adding to the beauty and bounty of the land are the orchards of fruit trees including plums, cherries, peaches, apples, apricots and pears.
Orrion Farms truly is unique in every element - from the world-class equestrian center, to the masterfully designed residence, to the magnificence of the land. It is an iconic Arabian horse landmark, a private sanctuary, and it is a place to call home for generations to come.
- 6 bedrooms,10 bathrooms
- Imported French tile floors with custom inlays and radiant heat
- European bath fixtures and faucets throughout
- Second commercial kitchen with walk-in and prep/storage room
- Indoor pool and hot tub with full wet bar and steam shower
- Theatre with seating for 12 and integrated light/sound system
- Temperature controlled wine room with private outdoor patio
- 17,268 square feet (per architectural plans)
- 8-car garage
Main Residence - Exterior Features:
- Expansive patios & walkways around the home
- Massive outdoor stone fireplace
- Infinity pool & hot tub with non-slip surface
- Outdoor drains heated to aid in snow removal in winter months
- Breathtaking views
- Outdoor leisure area with a gas fire pit
- Cabana with full bar and covered seating, plus two heated three-quarter bath/changing rooms, Laundry and Storage rooms
Equestrian Sales Center/Main Barn
- 76' x 180' heated indoor arena with custom lighting and sound systems
- Steel truss construction with Kalwall Daylighting™ Panels
- Two wings with 24 stalls (12' x 16") each
- Each wing has three grooming stalls, wash racks, feed and tack rooms
- Laundry rooms with commercial grade appliances
- Round pen
- Overhead hay storage
- 24 stalls (12' x 16')
- Office/viewing room
- Indoor arena with a heated viewing area
- Grooming stalls, wash racks, feed and tack rooms
- Reproduction & Breeding Lab
- Laundry room
- Overhead hay storage
- Two apartments
- Eight stalls with outdoor runs
- Approximately 70 acres of fenced & cross-fenced pastures
- Smaller paddocks situated adjacent to barns
- 1990's Craftsman style home built on the original home site
- Full mechanic shop with pull through and truck lift
- Office with shed parking
- Hay barn
- Grain silos
- Paddocks and livestock pens
- Two stand-alone residences, each with three bedrooms, two baths & well equipped kitchens
Maintenance & Service Complex:
- Five work bays, fully-loaded with power, plumbing, parking & work space
- Three apartments
For additional information on this outstanding property please contact:
Price available upon request. Shown by appointment only.
All parties must provide seller proof of financial capability prior to viewings.
- Arabian Horse Breeders of the Southwest
- Oasis Arabian Magazine - May 2009
- 2008 Arabhorse.com US National Digital Magazine
- 2007 Scottsdale Preview
- Oasis Arabian Magazine - Volume 05
- Oasis Arabian Magazine - Volume 03
- California Arabian Horse Breeders
- Oasis Arabian Magazine - Volume 07
- Oasis Magazine Volume 10 - Now Online
- Oasis Arabian Magazine - Volume 08